The history of the Cantrell-Huggins House began in the early 1920’s. Dan Cantrell bought 28 acres of farmland in the rural Due West community. He built a small temporary house facing Due West Road, a dirt thoroughfare. While his family lived in the temporary house, Dan’s father, A.G. Cantrell, started a general store in the front room which began the retail tradition of our property. In 1923, the Cantrell-Huggins House was completed and became the home for Dan, his wife Mary Maud, their baby daughter Georgia Ruth and the elder Cantrell.